Importance of Preschool
This is an era of heavy competition in all walks of life and in today’s’ world everybody is trying to prove their own efficiency in work as well as personal life. Growth of a person starts right from the time he/she was born, and every parent must know the importance foundation laid in early childhood. Learning at the early years go a long way as a navigating tool in giving a positive direction to an individual’s life.
Children begin their learning at home where the basic early development gets observed and they start getting into a routine in a secured environment. As they are physically growing it is vital for them to go out and start their first interaction with the outer world and to learn important inter-personal, academic, value and life skills to steer their life in the right direction.
Therefore, it is of significance that they start with a comprehensive Pre-Schooling. Parents should send their children to Pre-School for various reasons:
Preschool helps in ;
- 1-Building of Confidence– Children grow confident as they get the right opportunity to take initiative in a variety of individual and group activities throughout the day.
- 2-Social and Emotional Development– During different planned activities children display their interest, take initiative in solving problems, participate in activities involving adults and with peer group. They learn to express their woes or unease as they emerge from the chrysalis of self – conscious child. They begin to express their feelings and emotions like an adult.
- 3-Exposure to outer world– Young children get exposure to outer world when they come out of their comfort zones and interact with strangers. They are being told about people who are around and their jobs, how they can be helpful for their society and country and above all for their own well-being. They learn these skills gradually as their arena expands to the outer world.
- 4-Development of motor skills– Most of the Pre-Schools use well-structured curriculum and they emphasize on development of large and small muscles development. They plan their routine in such a way that children unknowingly develop their skills. Coloring, printing, pasting etc are such activities where kids show a lot of interest and enjoy but at the same time their pincer gripping becomes stronger. They go out to play, swing, use jungle gym and so on. All such well thought activities help in constantly improving their physical-intellectual growth.
- 5- Development of thinking skills– In the beginning of Pre-School children do not make choices or initiative but slowly and gradually they learn to solve problems to make the right choices based on their experiences. This shows that they are ready to venture out in learning and experiencing new skills.
- 6- Understanding of the real world- When children come out of their home, they get a chance to see, communicate, play and interact with people outside their family. They do not accept them at once and take time to adjust with others. They gradually start acknowledging the fact that people who are not part of their close family also love and care. They also understand the need to live in a society and formulate their own ideas of wheeling and dealing with them. The Pre-school helps them to conjure the idea of learning and growing in a small community.
- 7- Learning through planned activities- This is the common understanding of the people that the kids do not learn anything when they play but in reality learning takes place all the time consciously or otherwise. The learning patterns of behavior and speech through activities, games and interactive exercises develop during this stage. Schools plan a web of indoor and outdoor activities To bring about a positive learning environment.
- 8-Out of the box thinking-Pre – schooling gives plenty of opportunities to to learn out of the box , to make right choices and to actively involve through a planned curriculum. This enhances their ability of creativity and imagination. If they want, they can make a train out of Legos or can build different structures with building box and wooden blocks etc.
- 9- Observation through various ways- The planned curriculum has various methods and layers of observation through Anecdotal notes, Audio recording and daily observation by a Pre-School teacher. This record will maintain and show continuous improvement in a child through various activities. It also projects their major interests
You were born with wings. Don’t Crawl. Learn to use them to fly and fly. ― Abdul Kalam
The above are very well said lines by our former President Dr. Abdul Kalam which fits here. Every child is born with some potential and talent which needs to be recognized and then nurtured to produce better results.
This is what Pre-Schools do, they treat every child with love and care, try to take out their latent talent through a number of perfectly engineered plays, games and activities in order to prepare them for this competitive world where everyone is in competition with the rest.
These may appear trivial but are extremely important points which contribute a lot towards the overall development of a child. When a child recognizes his own potential, it will give him the strength of changing the scenario of today’s world into the world of future where he will flourish.
B.Sc, M.Sc, M.A, B.ed, M.ed
(Staford Pre-School, Lucknow)